Murray continues Wimbledon defence

first_imgTop seed Andy Murray is in second round action at Wimbledon today.The defending champion is in the second match on Centre Court, taking on the dreadlocked German Dustin Brown.Following them will be the meeting of fourth seed Rafa Nadal and American left-hander Donald Young.Jo Konta opens up events on Centre – the seventh seed faces Croatia’s Donna Vekic. Photo: © pixabay Second seed Simona Halep is due on last on Number One court, facing the world number 97 Beatriz Haddad Maia.And after Monday’s emotional scenes in her first round press conference, Venus Williams returns to action against Qiang Wang of China.last_img read more

Seamus O’ Riain Cup results

first_imgIn the Seamus O Riain hurling competition, in Group 1 Roscrea came out on top against Ballingarry on a scoreline of 3-25 to 2-11.And Toomevara overcame Newport 2-20 to 12 points.In Group 2 Moycarkey Borris were up against Silvermines – Silvermines came out on top, it finished – Moycarkey-Borris 3-12 Silvermines 0-27 In Group 4 Knockavilla Kickhams lost out to Lorrha by a goal – it finished up Lorrha 3-20 Knockavilla Kickhams 2-20And finally, in Group 3 Clonakenny and Borrisokane meet in Roscrea at 7pm this evening.Following that game the full line up of quarter finalists, and those facing relegation will be known.last_img read more

Tipp hurlers aim to get League campaign back on track

first_imgBut having lost out to Clare last weekend – he says they’ll do their best to put points on the board against the Deise.Throw in in Semple Stadium tomorrow evening is at 7pm, and Tipp FM’s live coverage of the game comes in association with Sullivan Family Butchers, Brooklands, Nenagh. Photo © Tipp FM Playing under lights tomorrow evening will add a new dimension to Tipperary’s second round National Hurling League game against Waterford.It’s the first of two evening games for the hurlers during the campaign.Tipp manager Michael Ryan says it’s difficult to know who will come out on top of most games in the Division this season.last_img read more

Moyes Appointed Sunderland Manager

first_imgSunderland chairman Ellis Short said Moyes was “by far and away first choice” to take control of the Black Cats and that he had tried to recruit him several times before. “He is a man whose football pedigree speaks for itself and is someone I have long admired,” said Short. “I have spoken with him on many occasions and I have always been hugely impressed.“He was my number one managerial target for the last five appointments, but his desire to honour existing contracts meant we were not able to bring him to Sunderland previously. To be able to finally welcome him as our manager is fantastic news for the club.”Moyes, who started his managerial career at Preston North End, was voted LMA Manager of the Year three times during an 11-year spell at Everton.He succeeded Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United boss on his fellow Scot’s recommendation when he retired after a trophy-laden 26 years in charge at Old Trafford. But despite signing a six-year deal with the then Premier League champions, he was sacked 10 months later and went on to manage Real Sociedad in Spain.Moyes was tipped to take over at Aston Villa earlier in the summer but ruled himself out of the running and the job went to Roberto Di Matteo.“I look forward to continuing the good work done by Sam,” said Moyes of the Sunderland role.He will be the club’s fourth manager in less than three years, following Gus Poyet, Dick Advocaat and Allardyce.Former Bolton, Newcastle and West Ham manager Allardyce joined Sunderland in October 2015, with the club second bottom in the Premier League and winless in their opening eight games. But they recovered to finish 17th, one place above their relegated north-east rivals Newcastle United.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram David Moyes has been appointed Sunderland manager on a four-year deal. The former Everton and Manchester United boss, 53, takes charge at the Stadium of Light after Sam Allardyce left to become England manager.“I have taken over a big British club, with a great support, and I’m looking forward to working in the Premier League again,” said Moyes.The Scot has been out of work since being sacked by Spanish club Real Sociedad in November. Allardyce was confirmed as Roy Hodgson’s successor with the national team on Friday.last_img read more

Real Bamako Officials Spy on Rivers United

first_imgOfficials of Malian club, AS Real Bamako were spotted at the weekend in Ibadan, keeping a close watch and taking notes on the activities of reigning Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) runners-up, Rivers United FC.The officials (one of them, a cameraman) were spotted at the Lekan Salami Stadium during club’s training session last Saturday and 24 hours later at the same venue when Rivers United lost 1-2 to Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) at the same venue in an NPFL contest. Chief Coach of Rivers United, Willy Udube, however insisted that the development ‘should not be a thing of worry for our fans’.“I was informed that three officials from AS Real Bamako watched both our training session last weekend.“To be honest, this should not be a thing of worry for our fans because we knew such a thing would happen; I will say it is normal practice.“As a former footballer myself, I saw such things happen countless times when we played on the continent.“We have been working hard ourselves to get a good result in Mali against AS Real Bamako and I am sure we will get a positive result,” he told the club’s official website, www.riversunitedfc.com.ng.Rivers United has never previously participated in CAF’s inter-club competitions in their one-year history.The ‘Pride of Rivers’ will be guests of AS Real Bamako on Saturday at the Stade Omnisports Modibo Keïta, Bamako in the first leg of their preliminary round clash in Africa’s apex club competition.Meanwhile, Rivers United’s Technical Manager, Stanley Eguma, has promised a good performance when his charges file out against Real Bamako.Eguma said Saturday’s 1-2 loss to Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) should not dampen morale too much as it is still possible for the club to end the season on a high.“The result in Ibadan was not a good one but sitting back and feeling sorry for ourselves at this stage of the season makes no sense whatsoever.“I am experienced enough to know that the season is still at its infancy and that we can still achieve great things this season if we do what we should.“I am confident of this team and I know we will make Nigerians happy this weekend with a solid display against a very strong AS Real Bamako side,” he told the club’s official website.In the same vein, Rivers United captain, Festus Austin has revealed that the players of the football club were pained by the loss to 3SC in Ibadan but are now focused on the task at hand this weekend against AS Real Bamako.“We made mistakes against 3SC but it is now time to go back and correct our mistakes.“I believe that when we play (against AS real Bamako in Mali) this weekend, we will improve on our game.“I am extremely certain that we will come out of that game in flying colours.“We are assuring Nigerians that we will not let them down as we will come back with a victory,” he said.NPFL MidweekFixturesRemo FC v TornadoesAbia Warriors v SunshineEnyimba v Akwa UtdGombe v NasarawaPlateau v El KanemiABS FC v MFM FC*Rangers, River Utd, IfeanyiUba and Wikki on continental dutiesShare this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Gov Udom Congratulates Teenage Sensation

first_imgStudent of Fulga International School in Uyo, Nse was the cynosure of all eyes when she cruised to three gold medals in Ilorin youth Olympics and the feat was repeated yesterday in Abuja.When Gov Emmanuel was told of the feat by the Hon. commissioner of Youth and Sports, Sir Monday Uko, the Akwa Ibom Governor cheerfully broke the news to all present and was all praise for the teenager from Ikot Abasi One in Etinan Local Government Area.Nse, a product of the Youth Sports Festival pioneered by Governor Udom last year, took time off the various cash gifts and hugs to thank Governor Udom for the Festival, ” which helped to discover me” It was also an athletics night of dance and cheers for the high riding Team Akwa Ibom when Christian Asuquo and Unyime Uwak both won gold in the 200 metres para athletics event, men and women respectively.Team Akwa Ibom that could only manage 7 gold medals in the last festival in Lagos, is targeting 20 gold this time around, all thanks to the robust sports policy put in place by the Gov Emmanuel Administration in the State.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Akwa Ibom State Governor, Udom Emmanuel has congratulated teenage sensation Imaobong Nse who yesterday defeated all comers to win gold in the women’s 400 metres event of the 19th National Sports Festival in Abuja.The 14-year old champion of the National Youth Games in Ilorin this year was entered by the state’s body just to give her “experience” only for her to beat all comers to gold in a time of 52.35 seconds.Nse announced her intention to be in the medals range right from the heats when she kept spectators on their toes with her natural strides, coupled with a youthful exuberance that depicted her pleasure going into the finals.last_img read more

Man City Win to Keep Perfect Liverpool in their Sights

first_imgManchester City clung onto the coat-tails of Premier League leaders Liverpool with a hard-fought win against Everton yesterday after Jurgen Klopp’s men extended their perfect start to the season.Elsewhere, 10-man Tottenham put their recent wobbles behind them to clamber into the top four with victory against Southampton while Chelsea grabbed their first home league win under new boss Frank Lampard.Liverpool won their seventh Premier League game out of seven to pull temporarily eight points clear ahead of Manchester City, thanks to Georginio Wijnaldum’s fortunate strike in a 1-0 victory at Sheffield United. The European champions looked short on invention against the well-organised Blades until Wijnaldum’s shot from the edge of the box 20 minutes from time trickled between the legs of United goalkeeper Dean Henderson.Liverpool, who have won 16 consecutive league games, finished a single point behind champions City in the Premier League last season but are now setting a searing pace as they chase their first top-flight title since 1990.“For us it was important to win, we had unbelievably big chances,” Klopp told BT Sport. “In the first half we had two big chances and in the second one which we scored from. These games, they are not all beauties and you have to work hard for the results.”City were under huge pressure to respond in the late kick-off at Goodison Park and took the lead through Gabriel Jesus midway through the first half.But while Pep Guardiola’s men were irresistible going forward, they looked shaky at the back, with makeshift centre-back Fernandinho and Nicolas Otamendi in central defence.Dominic Calvert-Lewin equalised and both sides had further chances to score before a Riyad Mahrez free-kick and a late Raheem Sterling goal sealed a 3-1 victory, which kept City five points behind Liverpool.Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino recalled his big guns for the 2-1 victory against Southampton at home, making 11 changes from the side that suffered a shock League Cup loss at Colchester in midweek.Spurs had won just two of their opening eight games in all competitions before yesterday and looked in deep trouble when they were reduced to 10 men.Tanguy Ndombele fired the home side ahead in the 24th minute but they suffered a blow when Serge Aurier was sent off after half an hour for two yellow cards.Hugo Lloris then gifted Southampton an equaliser with a goalkeeping howler, Danny Ings dispossessing the Frenchman in his six-yard box and forcing the ball home before Harry Kane restored the home side’s lead shortly before half-time.The win lifted Spurs into fourth place in the Premier League, one spot behind West Ham, who drew 2-2 away to Bournemouth after beating Manchester United last week.Pochettino said he was proud of the spirit his side had shown, saying it was an “amazing victory” for his team.“Unbelievable fightback from the team, scoring the goal with 10 men and then fighting all together in the second 45 minutes, keeping a clean sheet in the second half,” he said.Chelsea boss Lampard said his side’s 2-0 home win against Brighton, coupled with a clean sheet, would boost his players’ confidence.Speaking about the crop of young players coming through, he told the BBC: “It is great for the club and a long time coming. The work is done in the academy. The mentality is great. They want to play for this club. At the moment they are earning it and setting a level for others.”Also yesterday, there was a first league win of the season for Wolves, 2-0 against bottom club Watford, and Crystal Palace were 2-0 winners against Norwich.High-flying Leicester host struggling Newcastle today while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s misfiring Manchester United are at home to Arsenal tomorrow.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

7 Cardinals, 6 staff test positive; series at Detroit off

first_imgLast Updated: 4th August, 2020 08:32 IST 7 Cardinals, 6 Staff Test Positive; Series At Detroit Off Seven St. Louis Cardinals players and six staff members tested positive for COVID-19, causing Major League Baseball to postpone the team’s four-game series at Detroit LIVE TV FOLLOW US WATCH US LIVE First Published: 4th August, 2020 08:32 IST Written Bycenter_img Associated Press Television News COMMENT Seven St. Louis Cardinals players and six staff members tested positive for COVID-19, causing Major League Baseball to postpone the team’s four-game series at Detroit.The series was to have been played at Comerica Park from Tuesday through Thursday.St. Louis has been in quarantine since Thursday in Milwaukee, where the Cardinals’ series last weekend was postponed, and the team is being tested daily.St. Louis last played July 29 at Minnesota and is tentatively set to resume its schedule this Friday at home against the Chicago Cubs.The Cardinals are the second team sidelined by the novel coronavirus since the season started July 23.The Miami Marlins are set to resume play Tuesday in Baltimore following an outbreak within their traveling party that sidelined half the players. Miami has not played since July 26.Because the outbreak occurred in the visiting clubhouse at Citizens Bank Park, the Phillies were sidelined for a week while they were tested daily.Image credits: AP SUBSCRIBE TO USlast_img read more

Ex-Wallaby Kearns leads Aussie bid for 2027 Rugby World Cup

first_imgLast Updated: 5th August, 2020 06:35 IST Ex-Wallaby Kearns Leads Aussie Bid For 2027 Rugby World Cup Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan on Wednesday said Kearns would be executive director of the bid team. Kearns, a hooker and former captain, played 67 tests for Australia and won the World Cup titles in 1991 and ’99 FOLLOW US SUBSCRIBE TO US COMMENT First Published: 5th August, 2020 06:35 IST WATCH US LIVEcenter_img Two-time World Cup winner Phil Kearns will lead the Australian bid to host the 2027 Rugby World Cup.Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan on Wednesday said Kearns would be executive director of the bid team. Kearns, a hooker and former captain, played 67 tests for Australia and won the World Cup titles in 1991 and ’99.Australia co-hosted the inaugural Rugby World Cup with New Zealand in 1987 and staged it solo in 2003, when it lost the final to England in extra time.The 20-nation Rugby World Cup in 2027 is scheduled for Sept. 10 to Oct. 23. Japan hosted the Rugby World Cup last year, the first time the tournament has been staged in Asia, and the next edition will be held in France in 2023.Russia and Argentina had indicated they would bid for 2027, but Argentina pulled out of the bidding in April. World Rugby has said it plans to announce the successful bidders for both 2027 and 2031 World Cup tournaments in late 2021.McLennan has recruited a high-profile advisory board to help with the bidding process, including International Olympic Committee Vice President John Coates, former Australian Prime Minister John Howard, Governor-General Peter Cosgrove and 1999 World Cup-winning Wallabies captain John Eales.Image credits: AP Written By Associated Press Television News LIVE TVlast_img read more